The Galaxy S2 I9100G users can now customize and personalize their handsets with a custom version of the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS, as those of xda-developers had made available the new Chameleon custom ROM firmware. This is a powerful ROM that comes with many new and extra features and capabilities (that cannot be found in the default version of the Jelly Bean system), so if you want to test the same, do complete the present step by step guide. Do take note that we are updating your Galaxy S2 with a custom Android 4.2.2 software and not with a stock OS, so try not to mess things up.
The Chameleon firmware is still in its beta version which means that there might be some minor bugs and issues included in the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 system. Anyway, don’t worry as the xda-developers team will soon resolve the bugs and update you with a more stable variant of the Chameleon OS. Don’t worry though, as the present release of the software can be installed on the Galaxy S2 for a daily use, the firmware is not only for testing. Now, as usual, during the following lines we will be checking on how to flash the ROM on your smartphone, so do apply all the steps from below; don’t perform things by yourselves as you can risk in bricking your S2 I9100G device.
The best thing related to the Chameleon custom ROM is that it will bring the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean touch to your Samsung Galaxy S2. Furthermore you will also get new features and apps along with other capabilities that can be used for improving the performances of your device and for updating the Android experience that runs on the same. The firmware is based on the CM10 platform and has its own look, so the default Jelly Bean system will be replaced by a custom one. Anyway, if you want to learn more about the Chameleon software, go to our source page by using the link from here; then return here and learn how to update your Galaxy S2 to latest version of Jelly Bean OS.
Because we are dealing with a custom ROM and not with a stock / official release of the Android 4.2.2 software, you need to prepare your Galaxy S2 for the update operation that will shortly follow. That’s why you now have to complete the pre requisites from below.
- You first have to root your Galaxy S2; the ROM will have to access some files from the internal system and that access can be granted only if your root your phone.
- For the rooting procedure you can use a guide suitable with your S2, or you can choose between a general root method or a one click root solution available for the Samsung branded handsets.
- Then, after unchaining the system you need to install a custom recovery image, like CWM recovery, on your phone. The custom recovery will be used on the flashing operation because the stock recovery isn’t suitable with update with custom ROMs procedures.
- AT this point you should know that the warranty of your smartphone will get void. This is happening because you are rooting and changing the default settings from your Galaxy S2, so be careful as if something wrong happens you will be by yourselves.
- A final note related to the warranty: you can restore the same by downgrading / updating your handset to stock / official Android OS; or by applying a un-root operation.
- Next, continue the preparation tasks by completing a backup operation. Unfortunately by updating your Galaxy S2 I9100G to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Chameleon Custom ROM, you will lose all of your personal info and data. So, use dedicated backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving the contacts list, text messages, EFS folder, market apps, call logs, internet settings and everything else you might need.
- Also, use the custom recovery image and apply a Nandroid backup too; in this way you can save / restore the stock firmware.
After applying the above lines, you need to ensure that: you can access and use a computer or notebook; your phone and its USB cable should be near you; your handset is fully charged, or the battery status is indicating that there is more than 60% power left; on your computer and smartphone there shouldn’t be any security tools installed, so if different deactivate the antivirus and Firewall programs; the USB debugging option from your device must be enabled.
The next steps are compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S2 model number I9100G therefore don’t apply this tutorial if you own a similar Android based smartphone. This is a complex and risky guide and in case you are doing something wrong, then you will risk in bricking your device.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with Chameleon Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer you need to download the following files: the firmware file (use the link fromhere) and the Google Apps package (the download link is here).
- Don’t extract the files.
- Connect your phone with the computer; use its USB cable for establishing the connection.
- Select the downloaded files and copy-paste, or drag and drop them from your PC to your device.
- You can remove the USB cable now as the computer is no longer needed.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot it into recovery mode.
- Then, by using the recovery mode menu, first wipe the system by selecting: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- And from the same this time select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file now and flash the same.
- Then, repeat the process and apply the Google Apps package.
- Finally, in the end, you have to select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
- Now, in case you are stuck in a boot loop you need to reboot into recovery once more and perform the wipe by selecting only “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Congratulations, you are done for now. Your Samsung Galaxy S2 has been successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS as the Chameleon Custom ROM Firmware has been installed. Test the software and if there are issues or bugs share the same with us and with other users by using the comments area from below.